Thursday, August 7, 2008

Eye Twitching

Do your eyes twitch?

Lately, I've been suffering from eye twitching, mostly my right eye. I can practically stand in front of a mirror, and see my right lower eye-lid twitches. Being a bit hocus-pocus fellow, (plus my anxiety disorder..hehe) I naturally thought that it was a sign. Surely something bad would happen. Haih...I know...I know..I'm making myself miserable. Can't help it, ok. *sigh*

Anyway, when my mood changed to positive, I googled for some information on this. Lo and behold...I'm NOT the only one on earth who suffers this. And it has nothing to do with so-called bad omen.

This condition is called "myokimia", an involuntary eyelid muscle contraction that most commonly affects the lower eyelid. The exact cause of this is unknown. It sometimes develop during times of increased stress. (No wonder..) It also occurs after reading or working on computer for a long period (another reasons that fit me). Twitching is also associated with squinting! Now..now..this sounds increasingly familiar. I've been told umpteen times that I squint a lot! You see, I have been wearing glasses for the past 20 years. Squiting has become a habit for me. Although I had my LASIK operation in December 2006, but the habit stayed with me.

So, how do we stop the twitching? To relieve an eye twitch, try applying warm compresses to the twitching eye and gently massaging the eyelid with your fingers. For eyelid twitches that last longer than 2 or 3 days, over-the-counter oral or topical (eye drop) may offer some relief. Although not a direct treatment, eye drop slow down the muscle contractions, or twitching, making it less annoying.

2 comments:

fazid said...

i always experience this. sometimes the twitching is rhythmic with my heatbeat

aramis2177 said...

Kak IZa....
i just gave u an award....pliz check it at my blog ok!u deserve it more that i do!enjoy ur day sis dearie!!!!