Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Valentine's Roses

Picture of Red Rose, credit to JustOurPictures.com

Hey, I know it's not Valentine's Day yet. We don't celebrate Valentine anyway. However, I came across a lovely poem while I was blog-hopping. It brought tears to my eyes. Well, normal lah, since I am a sentimental freak. Huhuhu... But really, the poem reminds me of my late Dad and my Mom and their eternal love. Just that my Dad was not into roses like the author. He was a typical Malay guy who rarely showed his emotions. :) Anyway, just read the poem below:

Valentine's Roses (author unknown)


Red roses were her favourites, her name was also Rose
And every year her husband sent them, tied with pretty bows

The year he died, the roses were delivered to her door

The card said, "Be my Valentine," like all the years before


Each year he sent her roses, and the note would always say,

"I love you even more this year, than last year on this day."

"My love for you will always grow, with every passing year."

She knew this was the last time that the roses would appear

She thought, "He'd ordered roses in advance before this day."

Her loving husband did not know, that he would pass away

He always liked to do things early, way before the time

Then, if he got too busy, everything would work out fine


She trimmed the stems, and placed them in a very special vase

Then sat the vase beside the portrait of his smiling face

She would sit for hours, in her husband's favorite chair

While staring at his picture, and the roses sitting there


A year went by, and it was hard to live without her mate

With loneliness and solitude, that had become her fate

Then, the very hour, as on Valentines before,

The door bell rang, and there were roses, sitting by her door


She brought the roses in, and then just looked at them in shock

Then, went to get the telephone, to call the florist shop

The owners answered, and she asked him, if he would explain

Why would someone do this to her, causing her such pain?


"I know your husband passed away, more than a year ago,"

The owner said, "I knew you'd call, and you would want to know.

The flowers you received today, were paid in advance.

Your husband always planned ahead, he left nothing to chance."


"There is a standing order, that I have on file down here,

And he has paid, well in advance, you'll get them every year.

There is also another thing, that I think you should know
He wrote a specific little card...he did this years ago."


"Then, should ever, I find out that he's no longer here,

That's the card...that should be sent, to you the following year."

She thanked him and hung up on the phone, her tears now flowing hard.

Her fingers shaking, as she slowly reached to get the card.


Inside the card, she saw that he had written her a note
Then, as she stared in total silence, this is what he wrote..

"Hello, my love, I know it's been a year since I've been gone,

I hope it hasn't been too hard for you to overcome."


"I know it must be lonely, and the pain is very real.

For if it was the other way, I know how I would feel.

The love we shared made everything so beautiful in life.

I loved you more than words can say, you were the perfect wife."


"You were my friend and lover, you fulfilled my every need.

I know it's only been a year, but please try not to grieve.

I want you to be happy, even when you shed your tears.

That is why the roses will be sent to you for years."


"When you get these roses, think of all the happiness,

That we had together, and how both of us were blessed.
I have always loved you and I know I always will.

But, my love, you must go on, you have some living still."


"Please...try to find happiness, while living out your days.

I know it is not easy, but I hope you find some ways.

The roses will come every year, and they will only stop,

When your door's not answered, when the florist stops to knock."


"He will come five times that day, in case you have gone out.

But after his last visit, he will know without a doubt,

To take the roses to the place, where I've instructed him,

And place the roses where we are, together once again.


Now....wasn't that the most beautiful love poem you have ever read?

In my Mom's case, it is her who brings the roses to my Dad's grave. It's compulsory for me to order 15 stalks of fresh white roses and 15 stalks of fresh pink roses prior to Hari Raya, and my Mom will distribute the roses evenly between my Dad's and Grandma's graves when she visits their graves in early Raya morning. I know such practise is not good in Islam, as it's more like a Christian or Hindu practise. Tried to tell her that, but she ignored me. But well, I guess if it would make her happy, then let her be.

The other reason this poetry reminded my of parents is because next to my Dad's grave is a vacant spot. Mom had asked to reserve that spot for when her time comes, she will be laid to rest next to her eternal love. I know that's not good too, because as a Muslim, we never know where and when we will die, and if we die, it's advisable for us to be buried at the place where we die. For example, my auntie who lived in Johor Bahru was buried in Kuala Lumpur because she passed away at her daughter's home there. But well, as I've said, if it would make my Mom happy, then let her be. It would be our responsibility as her children to honour her wish.

4 comments:

fazid said...

so touching .... tu la name eternal love...

i love the smell of roses... sekrang nie merata-rata roses tgh berkembang...rasa nak petik2 letak kat vase aje...

Rahiza Haszian Abdul Rahim said...

tu la kan..i think their climate yg cukup sesuai utk roses. kat sini pun, tepi2 jalan pun kembang gegiler punya. kalu try tanam kat umah JB, sure tak menjadik...takat kembang sekejap masa bawak balik from nursery tu aje ler, hehe..

fazid said...

haah...kat mesia panas...rose pun cepat lebam

adehhh panjang pulak nak taip "word verification" kat bawah nie :P

Anonymous said...

Rahiza.. aku dah lama tak ziarah kubur arwah adik aku .. its been 7 years i think. Thats how long i have not gone back to JB. Tp alhamdulillah ada caretaker yg tolong bersihkan kubur adik di Jln Mahmoodiah tu.

I wonder when I'll come back to JB?