Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Belief and Faith

So far, I can say that life in LA has been quite challenging, in terms of religion. Although there are many Muslims in USA, the numbers are quite small. Everywhere I go, people seems to stare at me, just because I'm wearing Hijab. Sure there are some Iranians, Turks and Pakistanis around, but not all of them are wearing Hijab. It's just like back in Malaysia. So far I can count with one hand the number of other women wearing Hijab that I've run across to (I met a few Muslim women in Disneyland and Farmers Market). And so far whenever I go to supermarkets or the beach, I would be the only one wearing Hijab.

There are lots of Christian channels in TV too. Night after night, there would be some movies about God and prophets...from Joseph (Yusof) to Zachariah (Zakaria) to Jesus (Isa). There would be voices of Gabriels, giving messages to the Messiahs. However the story lines are wayyyyy too different from what I've read in our Book (Al-Quran). Although I know they are wrong, I inclined to watch them. Just for the sake of entertainment. The stories are told in an epic style, so it's interesting to watch the costumes and the sets. And me and dear Hubby has shared many opinions and views, discussing the movies. On Sundays, there would be live telecast from churches all over LA.

This is another reason why I'm reluctant to send Harith to the public school. I'm afraid that there would be teachings of Jesus and Christianity at school. And I'm concern with the Halal status of the foods in the cafetaria. Well, if we are to stay here for good, then that would be a different story. There are a few Islamic schools around, but those are private school and cost a bomb! But, as I've said, if we are to stay here permanently, I would be sure to send them to an Islamic school. Money doesn't matter when Iman and Faith is in question.

As for restaurants, there are very few restaurants with Halal status. There is one website that have the list of Halal restaurants, Zabihah.com . Since we have been here, we haven't eaten outside. I cook everyday. I'm more comfortable that way. And we get our poultry supplies from an Iranian supermarket, Shayyan International.

Well anyway, I guess this experience has taught me something. Belief and Faith, are very important. And patience. There's a reason why God has given me this opportunity to be here. To test my faith, my imaan. Someone told me once that Imaan flunctuates, sometimes it's high..and sometimes it's low. It's up to us to maintain our beliefs, by praying often for Allah's guidance.

No comments: