Thursday, October 2, 2008

Eid Mubarak

Today is Eid Mubarak.

We started as early as 5.30 a.m. this morning. Performed Subuh prayer and woke up the kids to prepare going for Hari Raya prayer. This year, the event was jointly organized by Islamic Center of Hawthorne and Islamic Center of South Bay at Carson Community Hall.

After getting 'lost' for the first half an hour, we finally arrived at the Hall at about 7.30 a.m. Many people have arrived and the hall was almost full. Dear Hubby took Harith with him, and Hannah and I headed to the Muslimah section at the back of the hall.

The event was more or less the same as those in Malaysia. Takbir Raya, Khutbah, and the prayer. But a thing happened that I found was truly special and made the morning extra joyful for fellow Muslims. We received a new 'Sister'. We witnessed and welcomed a new Muslimah to embrace the beautiful religion of Islam. Hearing the Syahadah, "I bear witness that there is no God but Allah, and Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah", I found myself nearly in tears.

I was born as a Muslim, so I tend to accept Islam as part of my life. Well, Islam does means "A Way of Life". What I mean is, sometimes I forgot to be thankful how lucky I am to be born as Muslim and the umat of Muhammad. Sometimes I tend to ignore the beauty of Islam, to neglect my duties and responsibilities as a Muslimah. Let's hope that my experience this morning would constantly remind me to be a better Muslimah of this beautiful, true, religion of Islam.

Again, I was marvelled by the difference during the prayer. As usual, I covered myself except for my face and my two hands, wearing a jubah and a hijab, complete with the socks. But there were other Muslimahs who perform the prayers with only the shawl clinging on the head, and a short-sleeves dress, I could even see their toes (complete with the nail polish!) Wow..I did get really confuse. On the other hand, there were other Muslimahs who dressed as I do. Hmm..can somebody explain to me, which is which actually? The woman next to me even bent over and shooing her baby when the pumpkin cried in the middle of the prayer, and then she continued performing the prayer. Hmmm..I know we have different mazhabs in Islam, but for me that is too much difference! I was taught that we can't move freely during prayers for fear it would be 'batal'. I was also taught the aurat of Muslimah should cover everything except for her face and two hands. Hmmm....

Anyway, contrary to what I expected, no delicacies was served.. aww.. :( We only got a Papa John's doughnut and a drink. They were quite short, so I just took two doughnuts for the kids.

So we just went home and have a small feast of our own. I spent the whole evening yesterday, cooking ketupat Nona, rendang daging, ayam masak lemak kuning and sayur sambal goreng. Boleh laa..setakat nak lepas rindu, haha..serupa TAPI tetap tak sama...uwaaaaa...

Oh yeah..I had YM web conference with my family last night. Miss them..miss them..uwaaa...mujur la Ibu tak banjir..kalu tak..harus banjir gak LA niiiii, hahaha..


Hearing the Khutbah

That blue thing is the string of Hannah's balloon, enterframe betul laaa..hehe..

Outside the community hall

A sport shoes and a jubah??? Hehe..

I was holding tight to 'Atom', Hannah's security pillow (bantal busuk laaa) for fear of losing it. Has lost it in 2 occassions, and had to turn back all the way to the shop for it.

Our small feast, rezeki pagi Syawal di bumi Amerika...Alhamdulillah.

1 comment:

aramis2177 said...

Kak Iza....
Selamat Hari Raya...
jgn sedey2 raya di perantauan....
anyway..u've been tagged!